View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Introduce yourself here! 

Welcome Nevyn,

You have lots of fun reading ahead of you (and one or two duds as well). Lovecraft has the higher reputation, but Smith and Howard, in their own ways, have as much to offer. Smith seems to be free of the racism and sexism that hampers Lovecraft and Howard, probably due to his exposure to the bohemian San Francisco artist community. He is also more ironic, which as an Englishman I get, but I understand not everyone does. It's nice that we're starting to get more accurate texts for Smith and Howard.

I'd also recommend Fritz Lieber. He's different, but well worth reading.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 am

Hey guys I just started listening to the podcast through HPPodcraft and love it. I finished the previous episodes in a day and would love to see were this goes. I'm kinda disapointed that I missed the contest and I would love a new one. (hint, hint) Thanks for adding me Ruth.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Guys
Discovered this podcast a couple of months back - it's been great listening. I've had old copies of some of the Panther CAS stories (with the great Bruce Pennington covers) for many years & regularly dip back into them.
Very funny comments & you're gamers as well - I think there was some reference to the TSR Castle Amber module. Way back in my halcyon days of GMing I linked up that with the classic A "Slavers.." series.... after the big boss battle at the end the players were magically transported to Averoigne as the slaver's island blew up.....if memory serves me correctly. Ah, happy days!
Anyway, thanks very much for the entertaining listening!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi all! I'm a big fan of CAS, HPL, REH, RPGs, and various other initialisms. I love the show and I'm looking forward to following through all of Smith's stories.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 am

I guess I should have started here. I'm another migrant from HPPodcraft. DC-metro-based, Gen-X, gamer, etc. I sometimes tell folk I went to Miskatonic and got my degrees in Semitic Language and Archaeology, which is only partially untrue. I come to CAS from REH via HPL on the way. I read Conan comics before I could actually read and found Lovecraft by accident in the Minot Public Library when I was 12. It was between "Howard" and "Moorcock" on the shelf. Never looked back.

Gaming, I've played all sorts of things, though I tend to prefer BRP-system settings.

There have been some threat of a DC-area gathering of Weird Enthusiasts, but as far as I know has yet to occur.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:56 am

DC is one of my favorite initialisms! Let me know if that threat level goes up on that gathering some time.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:17 am

Greetings, just wanted to stick my head in here and say I dig the podcast. first episode i heard was "The Door to Saturn" and i've been checking you guys out religiously ever since. Cheers from Barcelona!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:45 am

I am a long time listener of the HP Lovecraft literary podcast and thanks to CthulhuChick's twitter account I started listening to The Double Shadow right from the beginning. I had never been exposed to the works of CAS and have really enjoyed learning about him and his writings.

In my day to day life I teach Latin and direct plays.
In my free time I read (anything and everything), play games (board/video), and seek out fine cheeses and antiques.

Twitter ID: Ragnarhedin

Sun May 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Greetings.

I made a post on hppodcraft inquiring about Clark Ashton Smith and I was directed here. Back then I'd only had the pleasure of reading The Chain of Aforgomon. But that seems like eons ago, crumpled away in a lightless epoch. Now, having devoured 20 short stories and poems with a savagery akin to that of the Toadish Lurker upon hapless journeymen, I look forward to catching up with this podcast.

"The Emperor of Dreams," big words, totally earned. 2013 shall forever be known as "The Year of Clark Ashton Smith" in my literary cycles.

Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

:evil:
Hi! :twisted:

I am BoneyWashington, bluesman, The Double Shadow Podcast, & CAS fan (as well as them that influenced HPL and those that HPL influenced).

I listen to the podcast on the way in to work, on the way home, and whilst I workout. Sometimes as a drift off into slumber, too.

I downloaded the complete CAS on my Kindle and have been trying to read all his stories before I listen to them on the podcast.

I liked one of the earlier podcasts where I heard a Blind Lemon Jefferson blues.

Hats off to the 3 players! Thank you!!

That's evil,
Evil is goin on.
I am warnin ya brother,
You better watch your happy home.
--Howlin' Wolf

Follow me on Soundcloud, please:
https://soundcloud.com/kingumbopa
Boney Washington's blues handle on the Soundcloud account is Billiken Johnson III.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:47 am
Profile WWW

Hi from a new listener in the UK. I found the podcast through the link on the CthuluChick site. I've been a fan of weird fiction for about 40 years and I still have the 1970s Panther collections of CAS (someone else here mentioned the great Bruce Pennington covers). I'm currently working through the back episodes while walking my dog. Hopefully when I get up to speed I can start reading along. My own attempt at a weird fiction short story is here http://badjelly.com/shadows.html (the only thing I've written in 15 years but I'd like to have another go some time)

- Jon

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 am

Hello. My name is Larry, better known as TV horror host Dr. Gangrene in Nashville. I am a huge Clark Ashton Smith, and weird fiction in general, fan. Just discovered this podcast, and am looking forward to digging into these episodes! Cheers

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 am

Greetings all, I'm John, a newly minted PhD. in librarianship. Reference, virtue ethics, and systematic theology are my core competencies so if you need any of those skill sets, please feel free to PM me. Recreationally, I enjoy watching and reading optimistic SFF stories and GMing cosmic horror RPGs. Optimism and cosmic horror might seem to conflict, but I enjoy the brain alchemy they make together. Let's see, I'm currently playtesting a homebrew game that features elements of weird fiction. Right now my players are exploring the bottom of that huge sink hole in Guatemala City, looking for the origins of a strange fungal plague that's ravaging Central American drug dens and working its way northward. The sessions start off great but tend to run off the rails pretty fast once the players' liquor kicks in. I'll find a way to solve that problem someday. I came to the Double Shadow podcast via twitter a few weeks ago, and have pretty much devoured it while grinding away at the gym. It's a small delight to listen to the tales of the sloth god Tsathoggua while surrounded by people worshiping the cult of Hêbê. While, the appeal of CAS is mostly in his use of evocative and obscure language, the appeal of the podcast is Tim, Phil, and Ruth's enthusiasm for the subject matter. Enthusiasm is contagious and I have no natural immunity. I guess that's plenty for an introduction. I look forward to meeting weird people here and talking about interesting things.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey folks,

I've been listening to the podcast for a few months and finally decided to get onto the forums.
I've been a HPL/Mythos fan for 20 plus years and really haven't delved into any Ashtonian climes until recently. The podfolk are doing a great job bringing CAS to the unwashed masses (myself included).

I definitely am going to read all Averoigne tales, I used to do medieval re-enactment and my persona was a Benedictine monk, a naughty one, but still.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:28 am

Hey, I'm Taylor.
Possibly I am of the younger set of CAS fans, and I was introduced to Smith through his poetry during my second year of high school.
I did not find his fiction until much later, but now I'm a sucker for it. I love the show, and all its quirkiness, so here's to you guys.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5