View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How do you listen? Let's talk podcasts. 

This is only my English ones. I follow quite a lot of Swedish podcasts as well but I guess they all sound akin to the chef on the Muppet Show for you guys. If someone knows the language I can post them as well. I usually always listen to podcasts or audiobooks when I work out, commute or wash the dished , but I can´t really keep up with them all. Especially now since I found a new bunch in the previous posts.

Astronomy Cast
The Bible Geek Show
British Journal of Sports Medicine Podcast
Clarkesworld Magazine
The Classic Tales Podcast
The Conspiracy Skeptic
The Double Shadow (of course)
The Drabblecast
The Dumbasses Guide to Knowledge
The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
Econ Talk
Escape Pod
Exposing Pseudoastronomy
The History Network (military)
The History of Rome
The History of Byzantium
The Horror (Old Time Radio)
HPPodcraft
The Human Bible
Little Atoms
Military History Podcast
MonsterTalk
Mysteryplays Podcast
Nothing but the Blues
Old Time Radio Mystery Theatre
Old Time Suspense Radio
A Podcast to the Curious
Podcastle
Point of Inquiry
Prometheus Radio Theatre
Pseudopod
Reasonable Doubts Podcast
Relic Radio (Old Time Radio)
Righteous Indignation
Rippercast
Science Fiction Book Review Podcast
The Serial Killers Podcast
SFFaudio Podcast
The Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Skeptics with a K
Skeptoid
StarShipSofa
Strange Quarks
Strange Tales (Old Time Radio)
Supernatural Horror in Litterature
Suspense
This American Life
Variant Frequencies Podcast
Vintage Horror Radio

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:54 am

I listen in two ways. One is burned to MP3 CD's for the commute. The other is on my smart phone using BeyondPod while puttering around the house or yard. I found that I like talky ones like yours better for the puttering and stories for the commute. The talky ones work fine on the commute, too, but podcasts like yours are more forgiving of external distractions while working around the house.

I have several tiers of podcasts.

The first tier is ones that I have consumed everything and eagerly await the next episode:
HPLLP
PseudoPod
Toasted Cake

The second tier is ones that I am actively working to consume the back catalog:
PodCastle
The Tolkien Professor (kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, as it's solid analysis of classic fantasy literature by an English professor - start with the Hobbit lecture series)

Third tier is podcasts that I am actively dabbling in, but haven't quite yet committed to moving up a tier:
Cast of Wonders
The Double Shadow (I like you so far as I've gotten, but I'm not gonna blow smoke up your nethers yet)
The Drabblecast
Dunesteef
EscapePod
A Podcast to the Curious

I will re-listen to select episodes. Stories that I love will get saved and re-listened after a year or so, or if I want the wife to hear them on a road trip. When I find audio productions of HPL stories, I'll burn that to an MP3 CD and follow it with the HPLLP episode immediately following. I find that I like antiquarian readings far more than I like antiquarian writings, so this has been a great mechanism for deepening my appreciation.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Quote:
How do you listen? What apps do you use? Where do you usually listen?

I usually just download the mp3 and listen to it at work (I can work with it running through headphones).
Quote:
More specifically, when we release a new episode, do you listen to it right then, or do you download it and wait for later?

I listen right away. I download it to have a copy to go back to.
Quote:
Do you ever re-listen to a podcast?

Yes. I seem to be listening to them two or three times, and I'm sure I'll return to them later.
Quote:
What else do you guys listen to?

HP Lovcraft Literary Podcast
various BBC podcasts (although not regularly).
Movie Matters
Cthulhu Podcast
A Podcast to the Curious
Miskatonic University Podcast (CoC role playing)
Rippercast
Lovecraftian Obsession
Supernatural Horror in Literature Podcast
SSFaudio Podcast

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:37 am

Just checked out the Lovecraftian Obsession podcast... what an excellent concept! For those who don't know, it featured interviews with leading modern Mythos writers and scholars, including S.T. Joshi, W.H. Pugmire, Fifer and Lackey, Laird Barron, and others. Unfortunately, it seems to have ended at Episode 7 in October 2010. The interviews are still there for anyone who wants to check them out.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 am
Site Admin

Certainly worth a shot! :) Thanks, Snoop.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Here goes my podcast list:

The Double Shadow :D
HPLLP
The Roth Show www.therothshowrss.com/
The Drunken Taoist thedrunkentaoist.com/‎
Joe Rogan
London Real
Mohr Stories
The Duncan Trussell Family Hour
Collosses Concerns:Caged Thoughts, Free To Roam
Tangentially Speaking With Chris Ryan
Any podcast involving Graham Hancock, Tim Ferriss, Robert Greene, Josh Homme, or Daniele Bolelli

Follow me on Soundcloud, please:
https://soundcloud.com/kingumbopa
Boney Washington's blues handle on the Soundcloud account is Billiken Johnson III.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:00 pm
Profile WWW

So I've recently gotten hooked on Welcome To Night Vale. It's a podcast done in the style of the local radio / community announcements of Night Vale, a small town in the middle of the desert where weird stuff goes on.

I guess you'd call it comedy, primarily, although it's mostly just... odd. There are a few missteps here and there where the crazy happenings are a little too crazy, a little too on-the-nose, but these are minor blemishes on what is otherwise a big delicious plate of SubGenius-esque weirdness.

I recommend starting with the pilot because there's just no way to describe what this show is. You just kinda have to hear it.

Quote:
The City Council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Sommerset, near the Ralph's. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Genus Unknown wrote:
So I've recently gotten hooked on Welcome To Night Vale. It's a podcast done in the style of the local radio / community announcements of Night Vale, a small town in the middle of the desert where weird stuff goes on.

I guess you'd call it comedy, primarily, although it's mostly just... odd. There are a few missteps here and there where the crazy happenings are a little too crazy, a little too on-the-nose, but these are minor blemishes on what is otherwise a big delicious plate of SubGenius-esque weirdness.

I recommend starting with the pilot because there's just no way to describe what this show is. You just kinda have to hear it.

Quote:
The City Council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Sommerset, near the Ralph's. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. People are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.

I'm intrigued! And need something to listen to between TDS ep's. :!:

“NPR from the Twilight Zone” or "Where David Lynch meets The Twilight Zone"

A small desert town.
Town Motto:

"We have nothing to fear except ourselves. We are unholy, awful people. Fear ourselves with silence. Look down, Night Vale. Look down and forget what you've done."

History:

Founded by peace-loving imperialist conquerors.

Follow me on Soundcloud, please:
https://soundcloud.com/kingumbopa
Boney Washington's blues handle on the Soundcloud account is Billiken Johnson III.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 am
Profile WWW

It's been a while since anyone's posted in this threat, but I really enjoy podcast too. I use them to engage my mind when my body is obliged to be in a set space for a given duration, like inside a car, on a treadmill, or when showering. I use Downcast on an iPhone as my delivery method. BoneyWashington, are you still enjoying NightVale? That's the podcast to which my mate and I fall asleep. Cecil's voice is so soothing.

Anyway, here's my podcast rundown:

Alabama Ghostbusters (local dorks, doing good)
Alan Watts Podcast (the widsom of a groovy 60's guru)
Changesurfer Radio (transhumanist philosophy)
Circulating Ideas (Library talk)
The Double Shadow
The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast
In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg
It's a Thing (Trendspotting from two tech reporters)
New Books in Philosophy
NPR:TED Radio Hour
Philosophy Bites (Concise and rigorous discussion on randon philosphical topics)
Quantum Conversations (brief notes on quantum theory)
Rationally Speaking
Security Now (computer security and cryptography theory)
Singularity 1 on 1 (singularitarian chat)
Welcome to Night Vale

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm

If y'all didn't know, Robert M. Price has a new podcast called The Lovecraft Geek, in which he answers listener questions. It's Robert M. Price talking about Lovecraft for an hour, why are you not listening right now?

jtfburgess wrote:

Are you from Alabama? I'm from Alabama!

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:55 pm
Site Admin

I LOVE Bob Price.

Thanks for the info.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am
Profile WWW

Genus Unknown wrote:
jtfburgess wrote:

Are you from Alabama? I'm from Alabama!

Being weird in Alabama brings so many challenges. My wife and I are librarians, from northern and central Alabama respectively, and our bookish ways are due in large part to finding better community among the long dead and never born than among our neighbors. Being an outsider has its advantages.

Price is a hoot. I would enjoy listening to him speculate on the comparative merits of fibrous breakfast cereals.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2