View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Listen to the podcast, or read the stories first? 

This is a question addressed to everyone, but especially to listeners of the present podcast who, like me, are basically completely new to the works of CAS. Are you reading the stories before listening to the podcast, or vice versa?

For myself, I'm listening, then reading. Partly because my crazy work-from-home schedule just doesn't permit me to do much independent reading during the day, and partly because it was actually through this podcast that I discovered that the bulk of CAS' prose work was online.

When it comes to other podcasts involving HPL or certain historical or philosophical authors, the case is much different. For example, I know all of the stories they're covering over at the MR James podcast. The works of CAS, though, have always been in scarcer supply.

I'm actually enjoying listening to the podast first, then reading the stories later on. Maybe because I've already got a picture of all the "best bits" in my head from listening to you guys discuss it. In any case, it seems to work for me! How do you guys feel about it?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:44 am

I try to read the story first. I've already made my way through all the Averoigne stuff, so I'm covered for a few months.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 am
Site Admin

I listen to the podcast first.

No...wait...

With HPPodcraft, I really try to read the story first. That's actually why I made the ebook, albeit somewhat belatedly. With MR James I almost never do because it's not as easy for me.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 am
Profile WWW

Read 1st, that way I can kind of "participate" in the episodes discussion while it's occuring since I know what they're talking about.

Tim/Phil/Ruth, I noticed in the Episode Discussion forum, the next story thread seem to only be added after the show has been broadcast. Can you put the next story thread up during the time before the show that discusses it? That way, those of us that read the story beforehand can start discussing it as soon as we're done, & instead of waiting & forgetting what we wanted to say.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:35 am
Site Admin

Certainly! You can add the thread yourself, but I'll try to put up a thread just after the previous ep is put up.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Most other podcasts I just listen to the 'casts. I've only read a few M.R. James, and now after listening to Podcast to the Curious, I might read more.

I've already read all the HPL, but listening to some of the collaborations on the Podcraft opened some new doors.

When you guys listen, and disagree with our take on things, do you take notes on it?

I have 'discussion' notes for a lot of the podcasts I listen to. I never do anything with them, I generally don't join/post on forums, so I've just got legal pads filled with discussion at work.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:59 am
Profile WWW

With HPL I was familiar w most of it so just listened.
CAS & MR James I'm reading in advance & I thinking getting more out of it.
I don't tend to write notes by blow off the top of my head as often as I can.

Kehaar

Co-presenter Dissecting Worlds podcast - dissectingworlds.com
General gaming clarkythecruel.wordpress.com & current campaign www.alfiesantics.wordpress.com

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Personally, I kind of free-form it.

There are several stories that I am familiar with, which haven't been covered yet. (The titular "The Double Shadow", and "The Charnel God" have both been plundered for my role-playing habit...) Then there are the Averoigne stories which I was aware existed, but hadn't bothered to read (until now).

After reading them, I also re-listen to our Podcasters Three and their impressions. Overall, my impression is that of a really good book club: Interested people and compelling stories, put in a small closet with a spork, a bendy-straw, and the promise that only one leaves alive. (Was that out-loud?)

I guess it boils down to how you want to experience them. Personally, I lack the discipline to hold the podcasts in reserve until my free-reading time can be allocated. :)

Let us know what you think - have you decided on a method to the madness?

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Now that I've found these stories online, I do find myself wanting to allocate some time to go over them. The trouble is with reading long stories directly off my laptop screen. I do so much research every day on this very screen that, at the end of the day, I just want to shut it off and rest my eyes for a bit. That's the main reason I've been seriously considering getting one of those E-reader thingies, with the non-backlit screen that won't turn reading into yet more "research" (i.e., make reading feel like work).

So, I haven't quite made up my mind. Right now, I'm enjoying hearing our trusty Double Shadow go over these stories on my behalf. I'm sure I'll enjoy them much more when I finally do get to them!

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 am

Boy, can I appreciate that sentiment!

Here's the Kindle-version of Smith's œuvres which I'm working my way through with the podcasts. Take a look at this and see what you think.

For your usage pattern, I'd highly recommend an e-ink reader! After a day of wrangling software in the wild at work, my Kindle doesn't feel like a computer and gives my eyes a break. A friend has an iriver device (the Story HD) which is tied to the Google Play market. My trusty Kindle is similarly bound by sorceries fell and foul to the Amazon experience. There are lots of other gadgets out there without these commitments, but you'd have to curate your collection yourself.

To do that, I'd recommend Calibre. I believe Calibre's website also lists hardware that is unbeholden to any given market or vendor. I'd love to hear how your adventures in ebooks turns out!

Also, sorry to all those readers who thought this was going to be more about what order to indulge in the podcast by!

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 am
Profile YIM WWW

Wow, I wouldn't DREAM of listening to a podcast discussion of a story before reading the story itself. I would consider that "spoiling" the story. I'd much rather form my own impressions then listen to what other people think and go "oh yeah" or "I missed that..."
(No problem with other people doing it though!) :)

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:00 pm

I always read the stories first, but my wife, who is very busy, hasn't read any of them yet, but still really likes the podcast.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]