View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Do you read with a Dictionary "next" to you? 

Since CAS uses so many archaic words, I find it fun & interesting to look them all up & find out what they mean. So I always have an online dictionary open when reading (since I read the online Eldritch Dark.com’s texts). Do you have a dictionary “next” to you when you read CAS?

It might be a fun challenge to find a way to insert one of the new words you’ve learned from the current story into a conversation before the next episode.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I read CAS on the Kindle, which has a built-in dictionary, so, yeah, I guess.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Black Cavalier wrote:
Since CAS uses so many archaic words, I find it fun & interesting to look them all up & find out what they mean. So I always have an online dictionary open when reading (since I read the online Eldritch Dark.com’s texts). Do you have a dictionary “next” to you when you read CAS?

It might be a fun challenge to find a way to insert one of the new words you’ve learned from the current story into a conversation before the next episode.

When I first read them, I didn't, but that's because it was in old fashioned book form. Still, he's not as bad as Middle English, so I managed to muddle through.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 pm

I usually only require help with the most obscure or archaic terms. Plus, my Penguin editions of ye Lovecrafte ouvre have all the requisite Joshi-supplied footnotes for such things, so I'm pretty well equipped to deal with most of them!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Kindle abuser, here! I've also got an ongoing love/hate thing with Wikipedia...

It provides a rather dull razor to shear the faux-France from Averoigne.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Speaking as someone with English as his second language the experience is very much like reading HPL in the beginning before you learn his special words. In seems like an arduous task but after a couple of stories you notice the same words repeating themselves over and over. This far I've found them all in at least one of my dictionaries. And in the Averoigne stories he seems to deliberately choose French sounding words for aesthetic reasons, both obscure ones like “oubliette” and more commons ones like “rendezvous”. As I am always on the lookout for new words I find it stimulating and entertaining.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:50 am

I read with a Merriam-Webster's Speaking Collegiate Dictionary at my side; although I must confess the thing's speaking voice rather resembles the buzzing Mi-Go from "The Whisperer in Darkness" -- rather eldrtich-sounding and not easy to comprehend.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:03 pm
Profile WWW

pugmire wrote:
I read with a Merriam-Webster's Speaking Collegiate Dictionary at my side; although I must confess the thing's speaking voice rather resembles the buzzing Mi-Go from "The Whisperer in Darkness" -- rather eldrtich-sounding and not easy to comprehend.

Better get used to it, as Indian wages rise more and more services are being outsourced to Yuggoth each day. They probably recorded your dictionary as well.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:35 am

On the Kindle app on my phone, I can tap on a word and a definition appears. It makes me laugh, though, when I tap on a word and get the message, "No definition found." :lol:

Follow me on Soundcloud, please:
https://soundcloud.com/kingumbopa
Boney Washington's blues handle on the Soundcloud account is Billiken Johnson III.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]