View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Weird fiction, cosmic horror, and philosophy 

I'm curious if and how weird fiction and cosmic horror have influenced y'all's epistemology, or theory of knowledge. I'm a pro-science, secular Buddhist, but I have to say there's something really compelling about the idea that the universe is possibly far stranger than we can understand. It's pretty easy to empathize with how mind-blowing quantum theory was for Newtonians when it was first demonstrated, and just imagine how odd the dominant cosmologies of the year 3000, or 30,000, will be. My goodness. It seems like being exposed in fiction to the idea that our understanding of the world is radically limited and wrong promotes a plasticity of thought that actually makes it easier to adapt to those kind of cosmological shifts. Like, maybe Leonard Suskind is right and the universe is a hologram projected on a 2d+time shape at the edge or space, or maybe Nick Bostrom nailed it that we live in a computer simulation created by alien life forms or our descendants? I bet readers of weird fiction or cosmic horror would have an easier time of making their SAN check and just keep on making art and babies. I could be off base, but it's something that I like to spend time thinking about. What do y'all think?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]