View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 REH & Hyperborea 

Greetings All,
I recently came upon your podcast as my interest in CAS has been sparked. Previously, I have read only a handful of Smith stories and am now reading through in order with The Double Shadow. This feat I am enjoying immensely and I have just started the Hyperborean stories.

Which brings me to the point. A few times now I have heard you question how REH's "Hyboria" fits with CAS' "Hyperborea." To my understanding, they are not related. First, it should be pointed out that "Hyboria" is not a place, but instead refers to a people - the Hyborians, descended from some primitive tribe called the Hybori. The Hyborian Age refers to the ascent of these people, and the nations they founded, to a place of supremacy in the world. Of course, they were not the only people to be found in the Hyborian Age - Picts, Norse, Stygians, and others exist around the "civilized" (European) Hyborian kingdoms. In fact, Howard inserted a nation called Hyperborea into the Hyborian Age, and peopled it with tall, gaunt pale-skinned people who were not related to the Hyborians. Howard himself wrote little about this Hyperborea, but others have expanded upon it in pastiches and notably the Conan comic from Dark Horse (the older version).

Hope this helps and perhaps sparks an interest in exploring the heroic tales of REH.

Thanks again for a great podacast!

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I completely agree. It's Lin Carter who made connections with Smith by adding the Eiglophian Mountains, Tsathoggua and making links between Smith's and Howard's Serpent men. I have previously pointed out that the Hybori are the people of the god Bori ("Hy-Bori") and that Hyboria is analogous with the Celtic legendary realm of Hy-Brasil.

If you want more REH then there is a reasonably new Robert E. Howard centred podcast call the Cromcast (http://thecromcast.blogspot.co.uk/). Three newbies to Howard review his fiction in much the same style as The Double Shadow and H.P.Lovecraft Literary Podcast. Well worth checking out. An old hand like me hasn't learned much that's new, but its nice to see them acknowledge Howard as a more sophisticated writer than they were expecting.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]